TTh 3:00 - 4:00
Brett McInelly joined the BYU English Department in 2000 after completing his Ph.D. at the University of Cincinnati. He specializes in eighteenth-century British literature, the British novel, and composition pedagogy. His most recent research focuses on the literary reception of Methodism during the eighteenth century, and he is the author of Textual Warfare and the Making of Methodism (Oxford UP 2014). Born in Wichita, Kansas, Professor McInelly spent the majority of his childhood living in several states, in addition to a few foreign countries. The son of an Air Force fighter pilot, he lived in Florida, Washington, Virginia, California, Turkey, and Germany. His family settled in Farmington, Utah, shortly before he started high school. He served a church mission in the Korea, Seoul West Mission from 1987 to 1989. Upon returning from his mission, he enrolled at Weber State University, graduating in 1992 with a degree in English. He earned an M.A. in English from BYU in 1995 and a PhD from the University of Cincinnati in 2000. He and his wife, Kristin, are the parents of five children. In his free time, he enjoys sports, hunting, fishing, and movies.
PhD, U of Cincinnati, 2000
Eighteenth-Century British Literature and the Methodist Revival
Research InterestsEighteenth-century British literature and culture, the Methodist revival, and composition and rhetoric.
Teaching InterestsEighteenth-century literature and culture, the novel, drama, and composition.
Honors and Awards
- Scholarship Award , English Department (2014 - 2015)
- Citizenship Award, English Department (2011 - 2012)
- University Writing: Director (2005 - 2013)
- South Central Society of Eighteenth-Century Studies (1999 - Present)
- Modern Language Association (2012 - 2018)
- Conference on College Composition and Communication (2006 - 2013)
- Editor, Associate Editor, Bloomsbury Press (2021 - Present)
- Editor, Associate Editor, Studies in Religion and the Enlightenment (2018 - Present)
- Officer, SCSECS (2006 - Present)
- Other, Center for the Improvement of Teacher Education and Schooling (2012 - 2021)
- Other, University of Delaware Press (2013 - 2019)
- Other, South Central Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies (2016 - 2017)
- Editor, Associate Editor, AMS Press (2008 - 2017)
- Other, Center for the Improvement of Teacher Education and Schooling, Wasatch Cohort (2010 - 2011)
- Other, South Central Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies (2009 - 2010)