Prof. Flood was born and raised in the suburbs of Los Angeles, CA. He still proudly considers southern California home, even after many years living in France and Utah. From 1996-1998, Prof Flood served in the France Bordeaux mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was there that he met his wife, Jenna, a junior high French teacher. They have three children – all fluent French-speakers – and a huge dog. Chris enjoys reading, playing music (mainly on tuba and guitar), and eating delicious food (especially French food, bien sûr!). He is also unashamed of his enduring love for sweets, cartoons, comic books, and Mr. Potato Head.
Research InterestsA medievalist and Renaissance specialist by training, my research focuses on comedy and satire within those contexts. More specifically, I study works of comedy and satire from an interdisciplinary perspective and as they relate to the religious and political conflicts of the period in which they were produced.
Teaching InterestsIn addition to literature survey and cultural history classes that are part of the French major / minor, I teach classes on medieval and Renaissance literature, comedy and satire, and the literature of the Protestant Reformation.
- PhD, French and Francophone Studies , University of California - Los Angeles (2013)
- CPhil, French and Francophone Studies , Classics (Latin), Musicology, University of California - Los Angeles (2011)
- MA, French Studies , Brigham Young University (2007)
- BA, Philosophy , French, Brigham Young University (2005)
Honors and Awards
- Best International Book, Mormon History Association (2021 - Present)