Jacob D. Rawlins is an assistant professor in the Linguistics department at Brigham Young University, where he has taught in the Editing and Publishing program since September 2015. He earned a PhD in rhetoric and professional communication from Iowa State University in 2013. He also holds a master’s degree in public administration (2008) and a bachelor’s degree in history (1999) from Brigham Young University.
Before entering academia, Rawlins worked in publishing, first in the editing department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salt Lake City, and then at the Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship at BYU.
From 2013 to 2015, Rawlins was an assistant professor of management at the University of Louisville, where he helped develop a new business communication program.
Research InterestsMy research focuses on applied rhetoric, language prescription, editing, professional communication, and the history of publishing.
Teaching InterestsMy primary teaching interests focus on editing, the publishing business, the history of the book, professional communication, and the study of the English language.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Rhetoric and Professional Communication , Iowa State University (2013)
- Master of Public Administration, , Brigham Young University (2008)
- Bachelor of Arts, History , Brigham Young University (1999)
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Article in Business and Professional Communication Quarterly, Association for Business Communication (2016 - 2016)
- Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation on Business Communication, Association for Business Communication (2013 - 2013)
- The Worshipful Company of Stationers and Newspaper Makers (2022 - Present)
- Applied Rhetoric Collaborative (2018 - Present)
- Association for Business Communication (2009 - Present)
- National Communication Association (2009 - Present)
- Rhetoric Society of America (2009 - Present)
- BYU Management Society (2008 - Present)
- Committee/Council Chair, C. R. Anderson Research Fund (2018 - Present)
- Editor, Associate Editor, International Journal of Business Communication (2018 - Present)
- Conference-Related Role, Applied Rhetoric and Communication (2017 - Present)
- Conference-Related Role, 2017 Prescriptivism Conference (2016 - 2017)